- Jul. 17th 2016 New 1.0 version !
- Single executable for server and client,
- interface rework,
- gameplay : parachutes, guns,
- new keyboard shortcuts.
- Nov. 15th 2012 a reviews/articles section.
- Nov. 4th 2012 Published a new version with 'attack' key bug corrected. Have fun !
- Oct. 26th 2012 Web site has been reorganised and translated to english.
- Jan. 23rd 2012 First web site publication.
jXBattle is a rewrite of XBattle, originally for Unix (and X-Windows, hence the name) by Steve Lehar and Greg Lesher (released in 1991, old story...).
The source code is in Java/Swing, developed under Eclipse and Linux.
Here a 2 players game example :
DownloadsTo run the game, you must have previously installed Java.
- Linux executable
- Command line (shell)
- Windows executable
- JAR file
Archive of Java sources.
To build :
Extract the downloaded file (tar xf file), enter the extracted directory, run ant and then ./jxbattle
To run, you just need to double click on the downloaded file; but you have to make it executable :
Right mouse button on downloaded file, "Properties", "Permissions" tab, click on "Is executable"
Right mouse button on downloaded file, "Properties", "Permissions" tab, click on "Allow executing file as a program"
Open your favorite terminal. Go to the directory where you saved the downloaded file (jxbattle-1.0.sh). Type :
chmod +x jxbattle-1.0.sh
Then you can run it with ./jxbattle-1.0.sh
After extracting the downloaded zip, simply double click on the exe file.
To run, you just need to double click on the downloaded files.
If it doesn't work, type in a command line :
java -jar jxbattle-1.0.jar
On the web
- Original version publication on linuxfr.org
- Small article refering to a review at Indie Game Magazine (disappeared since)
- Framasoft review
ReferencesXBattle on everything2.com (english)
Extension of the game with computer players (english)
XBattle manual (english)
Students of Gdansk university have also rewritten the game (this time in polish, with a few english)
WinBattle, a Windows only version. The project seems to be dead, the first and last version were in 2003 (english)
A similar game, Europa, seems to have sunk into oblivion... Sorry, no ref.
ContactAny question, remark, ... please contact me :
LicensejXBattle is under GPLv3 license.
Visits since Jul. 10th 2016 : 3501